What should I wear?
- Make sure you feel comfortable in whatever you wear. It makes a huge difference to the final photographs.
- Expect to remove shoes and socks. Bare feet in the studio tend to look much nicer in the photographs.
- It is best to avoid small patterns and no logos, writing or cartoons that distract from the person in the photo. Stripes and small patterns tend to look too “busy” and compete with the face for attention. Where possible, avoid characters of any kind, words, etc. I know this may be difficult when some children like to dress themselves. I do where possible like to use clothes i have in my studio, I have a large range depending on childs age. If you are providing the clothes little boys look lovely in dungarees, denim or cream work really well especially with no top underneath. Layer several outfits for colour and texture. During the winter, cable knits and wool photograph especially well, flowy summer dresses, colourful polo shirts and even large patterns work well. Coordinate the same outfit style for each child to be photographed together.
- Mix and match. Try to come up with unusual combinations that compliment and contrast. Pick a colour palette instead of everyone in the same colour. Different colours can complement each other. You can go with a soft colour palette or a bold colour palette. Lots of colours, lots of layers and lots of textures photograph really well! If you need further help or advice on this, please don’t hesitate to give me a call.
- Don’t be scared to accessorize. Beautiful jewelry, scarf’s, favorite toys, blankets, etc. remember it’s those little details which help to create a memorable, uniquely you portrait.
- A smile. This is the most important thing to wear. Being relaxed, laid back, having fun. Laugh, joke, jump around, be silly and have FUN. Those things are what I want to capture and the rest will follow naturally.
- Stuck and need inspiration? Visit the shopping center and look in the shop window or clothing catalogues to see which clothing they mixed and matched together on their mannequins and in their photo displays. You can even Google professional photo shoots and see what others are wearing, you have some great ideas right at your finger tips!
To me clothing plays a vital role in a shoot and it really is worth taking time to plan it fully.